Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Game

Here is a quick dorky video I shot of one of the hostels I was staying in. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6330478536995634191&hl=en
I actually wrote this yesterday: It’s kind of funny to me sometimes of how mental the game we call “traveling” can be. Everywhere new we go we’re always comparing, contrasting and finding some way to make sense of everything we’re experiencing. “Oh it totally has a Costa Rica feel but really reminds me of San Francisco with all the interesting culture of Hawaii.” When really, wherever we go that we’ve never been, it’s really nothing like anywhere we’ve been. To me, that’s what makes the world so interesting and beautiful. Taking in each new place as an experience that you’ve never had. Dealing with people that you’ve never met, eating food you’ve never tasted, learning about culture you’ve never known and seeing somewhere new for the first time. It’s an excitement that reminds me of the anticipation feeling I’d get when I was younger and my parents would take me to Chucky-Cheese. But there’s two side to this so called “Mental Game“. One hand you have the romantic version, which is everything we dream about before going to a new place. That feeling of excitement with all the unknown factors. Kind of like a new challenge, “can I just show up in a place with no plans and make something happen?”. Yes, you can. But it comes at a cost. You’ve completely changed your life to play this “game”. That means you don’t always have your friends and family to fall back on and support you. It’s not always going to be comfortable. There will be those awesome times that you dreamed of, but there will also be times you least expect, feelings you can’t anticipate. Ones that are like feelings you’ve had before, boredom and loneliness, but they’re different somehow, just like how new places are never the same. That’s why it’s a game, a challenge of the mind. Do you give up and go home and go back to what you do know, feelings you’ve had and places you’ve been? Or can you overcome obstacles of the mind and continue to seek the unknown?

3 comments:

Jordan said...

So Gmail is going to kill us all. It knows our minds man. Look at the advertisement link that shows up in my email:

http://newzealandnow.info/us/?crcat=ppc&crsource=ContentUSGAW&crkw=immigration%20new%20zealand

Freakin me out man.

Pam said...

Well, I didn't get my fucking promotion so there's a good possibility that I may be joining you in your travels sooner rather than later...

At any rate, I'll see you very soon!!! :)

Bradley said...

You should have taken the blue pill, not the red one. Have a fun trip down the rabbit hole, I'll see you on the flip side after you finish your lobotomy treatments.